State Hiking Series
Each guide includes:
- Hikes suited to every ability
- Accurate directions to popular as well as less-traveled trails
- Up-to-date trail descriptions with mile-by-mile directional cues
- Detailed trail maps and GPS coordinates
- Difficulty ratings, average hiking times, and best hiking seasons for each hike
- Trail Finder for best hikes with dogs, children, great views, or wildlife viewing
- Information on fees and permits, contacts, events and attractions, restaurants and accommodations, canine compatibility, and more
- Zero-impact and wilderness safety tips and techniques
This book covers the best day hikes and weekend backpacking trips in New Hampshire’s breathtaking Green Mountains. It takes readers to the most scenic hikes in the state, some well-known and others off the beaten path.
Lisa Densmore Ballard, who has been hiking the Green Mountains for more than thirty years, is the Emmy-winning host of Wildlife Journal (PBS) and a writer and nature photographer whose work has appeared in Backpacker,Her Sports, Vermont Life, and Vermont Magazine.
Mark Aiken is a ski instructor at Stowe and a freelance outdoor writer. He is a recreational marathoner and triathlete. His work can be read in The New York Times, Vermont Sports Magazine, Around Concord, and Backpacker Magazine.